Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Knowing Part III
I'm going to end this conversation with myself with some notes toward integrating media and sources into the next quarter's schedule. I was so impressed, inspired by last weekend's special "On the Media" show on the 5th year anniversary of the war, a round-up of, basically, all the lies. A new book, titled, So Wrong for So Long, and analysis from a variety of credible sources. So I am figuring I will rewrite the blogs toward making the connection to a number of media sources, giving students choices about which to respond. No, not respond! Critique, follow up, analyze, chart. I think ten weeks of being responsible for sharing with the class the weekly their experience of media literarcy and links and personalities, sources and a worldview might work. So, working on a list. Additionally, I ordered above book. And, as a possible other track, just adding links which they can pick to analyze in and outside of class. I found a terrific Robert Jensen talk on the elections, a Chomsky on how US political system works, a Sut Jhally lecture on media and war. All to say that absent any real model of analysis I find it problematic to ask students early in the quarter to analyze their own political experience, worldview. I get mostly the predictable autobio stuff about their parents. Still working this out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like your idea of rewriting the blogs -- so make sure you share them with the rest of us. If I were teaching again this quarter, I'd institute a weekly policy of a "In the Media" moment in class, requiring students to report on things they've read or heard in the news that week.
Ambitious, maybe, but that could work....
Post a Comment