Thursday, April 3, 2008

The 21st-Century Protest Song

I have been compiling a list of songs, from various genres and perspectives, which address issues in the "War on Terror" class.  I'm not quite sure how I'm going to utilize them yet, but many of them are terrific examples of concise political arguments, some extraordinarily reductive (still valuable for our purposes) and some retaining a certain nuance.  Many have correlating videos which can be found on YouTube for free, if you curiosity is piqued.  

9/11:

"Where Were You" - Alan Jackson
"Land of the Living" - Lucy Kaplansky
"Have you fogotten?" - Daryl Worley

Pro-Military:

"Some Gave All" - Billy Ray Cyrus
"This Ain't No Rag, It's a Flag" - Charlie Daniels
"Courtesy of Red, White, and Blue" - Toby Keith
"Citizen Soldier" - Three Doors Down
"Bumper of my S. U. V." - Chely Wright

Anti-War:

"Bomb the World" - Michael Franti & Spearhead
"Hey Ho" - Tracy Grammar
"Line in the Sand" - Lucy Kaplansky
"World Wide Suicide" - Pearl Jam
"No More" - Eddie Vedder

Pro-Bush:

"Bush Was Right" - The Right Brothers

Anti-Bush:

"When the President Talks to God" - Bright Eyes
"Mosh" - Eminem
"Commander" - Girlyman
"Black Rain" - Ben Harper
"Bushonomics" - Talib Kweli (w/Cornel West)
"The Bush Boys" - The Mammals
"Dear Mr. President" - Pink (w/Indigo Girls)
"Son of a Bush" - Public Enemy
"Let's Impeach the President" - Neil Young

Left:

"Bless this Mess" - Sheryl Crow
"American Idiot" - Green Day
"Sweet Neo Con" - Rolling Stones

Right:

"Red White and Blue" - Lynard Skynard
"I'm in Love with Ann Coulter" - The Right Brothers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry about this, but I don't know how else to get in touch with Andrew Tonkavich. Mr. Tonkavich: my name is Seth Horton and I am co-editor of the annual anthology series, Best of the West: New Stories from the Wide Side of the Missouri. I'd like to anthologize a story I read in Santa Monica Review, but our manuscript deadline is less than one month away. Would you please e-mail me right away at bestofthewesteditor at hotmail dot com with your e-mail address so that I can give you details? Thanks, and again, I'm sorry about posting this note on your blog.